Spaces are rapidly filling up for various classes. Contact us today to register your child.
Vice Principal Job Description (closed)
About Us – Our School
Virginia International Private School (VIPS) is a well-respected, K-12 school with over 1050 students, meeting the needs of the local Emirati community. VIPS is on a very exciting journey as it goes from strength to strength in its commitment to quality education and its continued improvement, with a main focus on students’ outcomes. We cater to our students via a bespoke hybrid learning model, as students can opt for either Face to Face (FTF) or Distance Learning (DL). This year, we opened our brand new, state-of-the-art building for secondary girls and we are keen to graduate our first cohort, the Class of 2022, in the upcoming academic year. In the most recent quality assurance review locally, VIPS was evaluated to be fully developed, earning the highest possible rating of 13 out 13 “developed” judgements in its Distance Learning Evaluation 2020. Additionally, we proudly completed our international accreditation review by NEASC (in March 2021). Our staff are empowered to fulfill their roles successfully as well as supported via personalised professional development. VIPS enjoys the benefits of dynamic, experienced leadership and management, a holistic learning community, dedicated teachers, and supportive governance.
Job Description and Person Specification Vice-Principal (K-12)
The Vice-Principal will assist the Principal and the Senior Leadership Team of the school in all aspects of school leadership and improvement, including taking full responsibility for the school in the absence of the Principal. The successful candidate will work as part of the Senior Leadership Team, taking the lead on academic standards, curriculum development, pastoral care, and assessment.
Main responsibilities will be to:
- Oversee and ensure the school’s commitment to quality education and its continued improvement, with a main focus on students’ outcomes;
- Drive the raising of standards in academic performance across the whole school, particularly in the core subject areas of English, Mathematics, Science, Arabic, and Islamic Studies;
- Be an integral part of a successful, collaborative leadership team, delivering high-quality performance management and appraisal, strategic professional development, and effective line management;
- In partnership with the Principal, the oversight and line management of the Secondary phase of the school;
- Model and foster the nation’s and school’s vision, mission, and values;
- Assist the Principal with the effective and efficient use of school management information systems, and student admissions, and enrolment;
- Work in collaboration with the principal as set out in ADEK’s “Professional Standards for Principals”, being: strategic leadership, leading teaching and learning, leading the organization, leading individuals, and leading the community.
The post-holder will be responsible for specific areas related to the UAE Inspection and NEASC Frameworks. These will be reviewed annually with the Principal, and for the academic year 2021-2022 will include the following:
- Student achievement, including attainment, progress, tracking, and monitoring;
- Assessment and Reporting;
- Teachers’ appraisal and performance development, in partnership with the Principal;
- Shared responsibility for stakeholder satisfaction and outcomes;
- Students’ pastoral care, personal and social development, and wellbeing.
Person Specification – Vice Principal
Applicants should be able to demonstrate excellent knowledge and understanding of the following 4 areas related to this post:
1: Professional Knowledge and Understanding
Applicants should possess the following knowledge and understanding:
- A detailed professional knowledge of learning, teaching, curriculum, and assessment;
- An excellent understanding of leadership philosophy and practice;
- Excellent knowledge, skills, and understanding of the US and MoE curricula, and pedagogical issues related to both;
- A thorough working knowledge of the assessment and review of students’ progress and development;
- The use of creative and effective learning and teaching styles to engage, motivate and enable students to progress;
- Effective approaches to pastoral care;
- Effective strategies to include and meet the needs of all students, including under-achieving groups, EAL, SEN, Emirati Students, and G&T pupils;
- How to analyze, understand, interpret and respond to school performance data;
- Encouraging parents to work collaboratively with the school as partners, and involve them in their children’s education.
2: Professional Skills and Experience
Applicants should be able to demonstrate recent and relevant experience of:
- Senior leadership in a high-performing school;
- Organizing professional learning and continuous professional development;
- Leading whole school improvement initiatives;
- The UAE Inspection Framework and National Agenda priorities;
- NEASC or similar accreditation processes;
- Curriculum development and leadership;
- Effective assessment practices;
- Pastoral leadership;
- Supporting and developing innovative, creative, high-quality teaching and learning;
- Leading whole school policies and practices;
- Contributing towards the school Self Evaluation Form (SEF) and School Development Plans (SDP).
3: Leadership and Management Skills
Applicants should be able to demonstrate, from their experience, the ability to:
- Promote and sustain high standards;
- Inspire, lead and motivate students and staff, to improve the quality of teaching and learning outcomes and initiate change;
- Contribute to self-evaluation processes and whole school development;
- Manage the performance of other members of staff;
- Organize professional development activities, in collaboration with the Senior Leadership Team;
- Share expertise, skills, and knowledge with staff;
- Develop and maintain high standards and expectations;
- Have personal impact and presence to be able to initiate change and achieve excellence.
4: Personal Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrate a high level of commitment and professionalism;
- Have excellent communication skills, including written and verbal language skills;
- Be able to create and maintain effective partnerships with staff, the school board, parents, students, and the wider school community;
- Be a committed team player and be able to lead and inspire by being an excellent role model;
- Be able to take initiative as well as work independently;
- Seek advice and support when necessary;
- Have good time management skills and an ability to plan and prioritize work and tasks;
- Maintain a personal commitment to professional development linked to the competencies necessary to deliver the requirements of this post;
- Be approachable, positive, flexible, and enthusiastic with a good sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or another relevant field with a teaching qualification
- 10 years’ educational experience with a minimum of 3 years experience in a leadership role (Ex: Head of Department, Head of Subject, Head of Grade Level, etc.)
- Postgraduate qualification in education or other qualification equivalent to QF Emirates level 8 or above
- 8 years’ educational experience with a minimum of 3 years experience in a leadership role (Ex: Head of Department, Head of Subject, Head of Grade Level, etc.)
- By successfully meeting the requirements of the local authorities, which may include an interview and exam
Start Date: August 2021
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org