Spaces are rapidly filling up for various classes. Contact us today to register your child.
Math Coordinator – Secondary
About Us – Our School
Virginia International Private School (VIPS) is a well-respected, K-12 school with over 1050 students, meeting the needs of the local Emirati community. VIPS is on a very exciting journey as it goes from strength to strength in its commitment to quality education and its continued improvement, with a main focus on students’ outcomes. We cater to our students via a bespoke hybrid learning model, as students can opt for either Face to Face (FTF) or Distance Learning (DL). This year, we opened our brand new, state-of-the-art building for secondary girls and we are keen to graduate our first cohort, the Class of 2022, in the upcoming academic year. In the most recent quality assurance review locally, VIPS was evaluated to be fully developed, earning the highest possible rating of 13 out 13 “developed” judgements in its Distance Learning Evaluation 2020. Additionally, we proudly completed our international accreditation review by NEASC (in March 2021). Our staff are empowered to fulfill their roles successfully as well as supported via personalised professional development. VIPS enjoys the benefits of dynamic, experienced leadership and management, a holistic learning community, dedicated teachers, and supportive governance.
Job Description and Person Specification
Math Coordinator: Secondary School (Grades 6-12)
About the role:
The Secondary School Math Coordinator will be a member of the Secondary Curriculum Leadership Team, whose main area of responsibility will be the Leadership and Management of Math across Secondary (US Curriculum).
Key areas of responsibility for 2021-22 will include the leadership and management of all Secondary School Math Teaching, including direct responsibility for Internal and External Assessment, and Curriculum Development (including Scope and Sequence Documentation).
The post-holder will be required to exercise their professional skills and judgement to carry out the professional duties set out in the two main areas outlined below:
1: Learning and Teaching
- Ensure high quality education, attainment and progress in Math for all Secondary School students.
- Track, monitor, evaluate and review student progress, achievement and attainment across Secondary and ensure appropriate action plans are in place where intervention is required.
- Monitor, evaluate and review the quality of learning and teaching in Secondary, in accordance with school and ADEK policies.
- Leading, developing and enhancing the teaching practice of others.
- Be accountable for the work of teachers and support staff in the Math team.
- Monitor, evaluate and review the quality of learning and teaching in Math classes and share judgements with staff, as appropriate.
- Develop and improve staff subject knowledge and pedagogy.
- Ensure the promotion of methods that enable all students to learn effectively.
- Deliver and demonstrate outstanding, enquiry based teaching of Math through his/her own teaching commitment.
2: Leadership and Accountability
- Actively support the aims and ethos of the school as a member of the Curriculum Leadership Team.
- Set high professional standards for all Class Teachers in Secondary by promoting a challenge and support culture.
- Establish good relationships, encourage good working practices and support mechanisms.
- Identify key professional development needs and ensure that these needs are addressed through the provision of high quality coaching and mentoring.
- Lead the development of the use of MAP data
- Coordinate strategies to achieve identified School Development Plan priorities, evaluate and report on their effectiveness and make suggestions for further improvements.
- Take part in and respond to issues regarding self-evaluation including making contributions to the development of the SEF.
- Take responsibility for the short, medium and long term curriculum planning in Math.
- Ensure high quality transition for students currently in Grade 5 into the Middle School
Person Specification – Math Coordinator: Secondary School
Applicants should be able to demonstrate an excellent knowledge and understanding of the following areas related to this post:
1: Professional Knowledge and Understanding
- Possess excellent knowledge, skills and understanding of curriculum and pedagogical issues, particularly those related to the teaching of the US Curriculum.
- Have a detailed professional knowledge of student’s personal and social development and Behavioral management.
- Have an excellent understanding of leadership philosophy and practice.
- A thorough working knowledge of the assessment and review of students’ progress and development.
- The use of creative and effective learning and teaching styles to engage, motivate and enable students to progress.
- Effective strategies to include and meet the needs of all pupils within Secondary, including under-achieving groups, EAL, SEN, Emirati Students and G&T pupils.
- How to analyze, understand, interpret and respond to school performance data.
- Encouraging parents to work cooperatively with the school and involve them in their children’s education.
2: Professional Skills and Experience
Applicants should be able to demonstrate recent and relevant experience of:
- Secondary teaching with a specialist knowledge of Math.
- Excellent classroom practice in Secondary education.
- Observing and evaluating teaching and giving lesson feedback to a teacher.
- Monitoring and evaluation of learning and teaching leading to effective planning to raise standards.
- Continuous professional development.
- Digital learning and the use of ICT across the curriculum.
- Effective involvement and engagement with parents.
- Relevant qualifications in Secondary teaching.
- Language learning, in particular for students for whom English is a second language.
- Issues and practices in International schools.
3: Leadership and Management Skills
Applicants should be able to demonstrate from their experience the ability to:
- Promote and sustain high standards.
- Inspire, lead and motivate students’ and staff to influence the quality of learning and teaching and initiate change.
- Take a lead role in innovative curriculum development.
- Contribute to self-evaluation exercises and whole school development.
- Manage the performance of other members of staff.
- Organize professional development activities for the Math team, in collaboration with the Senior Leadership Team.
- Share expertise, skills and knowledge with staff.
- Develop and maintain high standards and expectations.
- Have personal impact and presence to be able to initiate change and achieve excellence.
4: Personal Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrate a high level of commitment and professionalism.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Be able to create and maintain effective partnerships with staff, the school board, parents, students and the wider school community.
- Be a good team player and be able to lead and inspire by being an excellent role model.
- Be able to work independently and on your own initiative.
- Seek advice and support when necessary.
- Have good time management skills and an ability to plan and prioritize work and tasks for you and your phase team.
- Maintain a personal commitment to professional development linked to the competencies necessary to deliver the requirements of this post.
- Be approachable, positive, flexible and enthusiastic with a good sense of humor.