Spaces are rapidly filling up for various classes. Contact us today to register your child.
Teacher of Science – Secondary
About Us – Our School
Virginia International Private School (VIPS) is a well-respected, K-12 school with 1185 students, meeting the needs of the local Emirati community. VIPS is on a very exciting journey as it goes from strength to strength in its commitment to quality education and its continued improvement, with a main focus on students’ outcomes. We cater to our students via a bespoke hybrid learning model, as students can opt for either Face to Face (FTF) or Distance Learning (DL). This year, we opened our brand new, state-of-the-art building for secondary girls and we are keen to graduate our first cohort, the Class of 2022, in the upcoming academic year. In the most recent quality assurance review locally, VIPS was evaluated to be fully developed, earning the highest possible rating of 13 out 13 “developed” judgements in its Distance Learning Evaluation 2020. Additionally, we just completed successfully an international accreditation review by NEASC (in March 2021). We empower our staff to fulfill their roles successfully as well as encourage and support professional development. VIPS enjoys the benefits of dynamic, experienced leadership and management, a holistic learning community, dedicated teachers, and supportive governance.
Job Description and Person Specification
Teacher of Science (Secondary)
The Faculty of Science is held in high regard at Virginia International Private School, with students having more than the mandatory amount of lesson time in the sciences, resulting in high levels of attainment and progress.
This position offers an exciting opportunity for an outstanding teacher of general science to work in our middle school, although some specialist Biology, Chemistry or Physics classes may also become available in the high school for a suitable candidate.
1: Learning and Teaching
- Plan and deliver outstanding science lessons to both boys and girls classes in the Middle School
- Ensure high quality education, attainment and progress for all students;
- Track, monitor, evaluate and review student progress, achievement and attainment;
- Ensure the promotion of methods that enable all students to learn effectively;
- Deliver and demonstrate, enquiry based teaching of science through his/her own teaching commitment;
- Deliver high quality practical lessons in the school laboratories;
- Make learning and teaching of science relevant by making connections to the real world;
- Use creative and effective learning and teaching styles to engage, motivate and enable students to progress;
- Use assessment for learning strategies in order to personalize and accelerate student learning;
- Take responsibility for the short, medium and long term curriculum planning within the taught Science Subjects;
- Have knowledge of effective strategies to include and meet the needs of all pupils within the Secondary School, including Higher/Lower attaining students, EAL, SEN, Emirati Students and G&T pupils.
2: Professional Skills and Experience
A bachelor’s degree (or higher) in at least one science subject is an essential requirement for this position. Possession of a PGCE or another teaching qualification is mandatory.
Applicants should also be able to demonstrate recent and relevant experience of:
- Secondary Science Teaching (2 years or more);
- Excellent classroom practice in Secondary education with substantial experience in the Middle School phase (Grades 6-8);
- Continuous professional development;
- Digital learning and the use of ICT across the curriculum;
- Effective involvement and engagement with parents;
- Behaviour management and child protection;
- Knowledge of the UAE school systems and culture;
- Knowledge and experience of the American curriculum (desirable but not mandatory).
3: Personal Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrate a high level of commitment and professionalism;
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Be able to create and maintain effective partnerships with staff, the school administration, parents, students and the wider school community;
- Be able to work independently and on own initiative;
- Seek advice and support when necessary;
- Have good time management skills;
- Be committed to providing extra-curricular activities;
- Maintain a personal commitment to professional development linked to the competencies necessary to deliver the requirements of this post;
- Be approachable, positive, flexible and enthusiastic with a good sense of humour.
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com